Sharing the Journey
I feel I have
changed more in the past 5 years personally, emotionally, and spiritually more
than in any other time period in my life.
To some this change appears to have happened overnight. It may seem one day I woke up and proclaimed,
“I no longer believe this/that” and the me as they “thought” they knew vanished
and they were left wondering “who are you and where is my daughter/friend/etc.?” This is mainly in part because I kept all the
growing and changing unseen and on the inside of me. I would slowly share and bounce ideas and
opinions off those closest to me like my husband or kids, but for the most part
my questioning and pondering took place out of view from most I knew.
I was raised in a religious tradition of
absolutes. You had to absolutely believe
one thing and be prepared to argue and fight and defend that belief. In Christian schools of my upbringing, they
literally teach kids how to defend their faith and have them prepared for every
counterpoint they could be presented against.
It is safe to say there was not much room given to the doubts and
questions. You should be 110% sure and
know why. Some may have perceived this religious
culture differently; this is just my take and perception. If you grow up thinking you need to hold
certain beliefs close and be ready to defend them at any moment when those
thoughts and beliefs change for any reason a battle is unleashed internally. You start to think and see things differently,
but you do not feel like you have a new set of absolutes to share. You cannot state new opinions or beliefs until
you feel ready to defend them at all costs.
You may leave the ideas and thoughts behind, but the practice of having
to battle with facts, points, and verses can be so deeply engrained in the mind
no matter what you do you cannot break free from it. This is what has been going on with me for
the past 5-6 years. My views and
opinions changed, but my need to not announce that until I have ALL my facts,
and my points backed by truth and evidence kept me from sharing or allowing
others to join me on this journey. Instead
of sharing my process of how I was growing and evolving, I felt like I had to
just emerge a fully formed new person. I
can imagine this was very confusing to so many in my orbit!
Instead of
just saying, “I know longer feel that way” or “I am starting to see things
differently here” I just sat silent and clocked in my mind who was safe and who
was not for me to share my thoughts and changing opinions too. This just left
me more isolated and scared to speak up even more without having a fully backed
opinion and thought. This all slowly changed
the older I got and more I separated internally from the faith and politics of
my raising. I could no longer continue
in the same direction. I slowly spoke up
more and more in relationships with friends and family and it has cost me
dearly. My little family of 5 left a
church where we had called home for years to find a faith that would not feel
so wrong and closed off. This led to us
visiting so many churches that where considered the cool, hip, everyone is
welcome here kind; only to find that those slogans were not the whole story,
they hid absolutes and views we strongly disagreed with. I leaned into saying and thinking and celebrating
“I Do Not Know!” I welcomed living in
the gray area. Where it was freeing to
admit you were uncertain, questioning, searching, and happy! I was taught that area should be scary, a
slippery slope, and full of turmoil, but I was not experiencing that for the
most part. I felt free!
Except I was keeping these changes very inward
and close. Only seen by my household and
sister who I could converse openly about.
So, while internally I felt free, externally I was isolated. We as a family had been cut off and
ostracized from a community, we thought we were loved in. I saw my kids firm up in what they saw and believed
but be in the position of being at odds with those around them and having
strained relationships. It is interesting
how when your politics or opinions on politics change how it slowly changes
every aspect of your life. The same goes
for faith and religion. When you no
longer hold on so tightly to absolute truths and beliefs it then changes how
you interact and move in the world.
In hindsight
I wish I would have been more open with others during the process of changing
and reformulating my beliefs. Then maybe
it would not have been such a shock when I started voicing opinions and
beliefs. Instead of hearing friends say
to me, “When did you lose your faith” or “My Kirsten it is so sad to see how
quickly and suddenly you abandoned your beliefs,” They would have seen that
this was a long journey. A period of
years where I wrestled with ideas and ideologies, read life stories different
from my own, spoke to people who experienced the world differently and learned
from them. It took letting go of my absolutes
and turning to others with an open heart and mind and truly hearing and seeing
them. It took me letting go of “this or that”
thinking and replacing it with “This and that” “both and” thinking. I am still on this journey of growth and
change. I am dismantling my views on
race, religion, role of government, and gender roles. I am not going to process this anymore alone. I am going to try and write it out. Share my journey and my questions. I process and think through issues all day
long and in order to get out of my head I am going to try and process through
writing and sharing the journey. I may
not have stuff to share daily, odds are it will be a weekly or bi-weekly share
time.
My only goal
and expectation is to be honest with what I am learning and share the journey because
I can’t be alone on this journey anymore.
Welcome to blogging! So glad to have some else rambling their way through this self discovery process. It's BIG!
ReplyDeleteI’m a firm believer in writing. I have writings as early as 11 years old. It’s my best therapy. Happy you feel free!
ReplyDelete