At The Crossroads
As silly, offensive, and wrong as it may sound, I grew up
believing that Christians could only be republican. And by grown up, I mean well into my 20’s! I honestly do not remember politics being
openly discussed in my home or at church, but somehow little me got the clear
message if you are a Christian, you vote for the anti-abortion party, aka the
republican party. I did not stray far
from the party line. Not because I genuinely
believed in the politics of the republican party, I had no idea what they were,
I voted republican because I thought if I did not and a democrat won and there were
no laws on abortions then the blood of those babies would be on me. Dark I know, and very irrational, but my
brain was not fully developed, and I was working with what I had. Around my late high school, early college,
days Fox News came onto the scene. It
was on quite a bit in my home. We stopped
trusting the “other” “biased” media and would turn to Fox anchors like all the
blonde ladies (seriously can only remember Martha MacCallum), Shepherd Smith
(My personally favorite), and Bill O’Reilly (troubling with hindsight). Funny but I do not think any of these three
are employed there anymore….
I, along with thousands of others, bought into the “culture
wars” they were selling. The “us vs.
them” mindset was dished out and we were lapping it up. Them of course being those liberals who wanted
to ban our guns and make our country socialist.
They needed their audience to be the good guys so there must be a bad
guy or enemy. Suddenly, I agreed that
there was a war on Christmas, Hollywood was actively trying to push its agenda
down our throats, and the regular media (ABC, CBS, CNN, and of course Public
Broadcasting) was in on the trick. I believed
what they told me even though nothing from my life could back it up. I was raised Christian and never felt persecuted
for it here in America. If anything, it
helped me to fit in and belong to the “in group.” War on Christmas? Yes, that is horrible, yet when I look back Christmas
was OPENLY celebrated at my public schools, not being stripped away. The only thing that looking back was “war
like” was the language (lyrics) used by the media I was absorbing and that how
any infraction was being touted like it was the standard. A barista at Starbucks says Happy Holidays, “See
they are attacking Christmas!” We must
keep Christ in Christmas became regular messages I started hearing at church
around a certain time of year as well as reminders that “Jesus is the reason
for the season.” Looking back on it, I
feel sorry for the students around me who may have been Jewish, Muslim, or
atheist because if anything they had to live through the real persecution during
this time. All these messages and more
were seeping into my skin and building a belief system I was taking into
adulthood with me.
The first presidential election I can recall paying any
attention too was the GW Bush vs Gore race, and I remember very little of
it! I vividly recall being in college in
Milledgeville, Georgia and watching the results roll in on Fox. Sitting on my apartment couch watching the
returns with my boyfriend at the time like it was entertainment. As that election became contested due to some
“hanging & pregnant chads” in Florida; the headline “Sore Loserman” (A play
on the Gore/Leiberman ticket) was one I thought was funny and stood out to me; I
even remember seeing shirts with this printed on them. I consider this highly ironic in the way this
past Trump/Biden election ended. I
considered it all as entertainment; I did not connect at that age as to why
people were so upset and angry and fighting over this. My life had never been affected by a
presidential race before so what is the big deal. Youth and ignorance on display; if it does
not affect me it is not even on my radar: Racial injustice: can’t we all just
treat each other with kindness; abortion: just put them up for adoption don’t
kill them; criminal justice and crime: commit the crime and do the time;
inequality: all men are created equal! I had not faced the hardships of others so
had no reference for care or empathy, my suburban, white, middle-class privilege
was on full display and I did not even see it.
When I was a junior in college and only 21 years old, I discovered
I was pregnant. This was a game changer!
I life stopping moment. I remember being
so hopeless, scared, and ashamed. My
whole life I was preached to about saving myself, holding tight to my virginity
and purity. (See previous posts for more on this.) I was at a crossroads where I had to choose
to keep this baby and admit I was the wrong type of girl from the one my family
raised me to be, or I could end the pregnancy, move forward and act like
nothing ever happened and continue with my life trajectory. On the one hand was acknowledging I was the used-up
girl that no one would want because I sinned the sin there was no coming back
from (yes, I honestly believed this from my purity teachings), or I could be a
murderer of a soul that did nothing wrong and was just the product of MY sin,
MY mistake like I always thought of the women who chose the easy way of having
abortions. This choice, this decision I
was making led me to an unraveling of my political stances and I was not even
aware of it at the time. My privilege to
be able to choose to have my baby and start a family, and still go to my
college classes to better my future was one most girls who find themselves in
my situation at the time do not have the luxury to make.
I was privileged for so many reasons looking back now. I had parents who supported me and planned
and paid for a wedding; they had me covered under insurance so I didn’t go in
debt having a baby; My professors worked
with me to get the courses I needed to stay on track to graduate; My mom drove
to my school and watched my baby so I could attend classes or she would take my
baby home with her for a few days if I had a particularly stressful work load; I had friends and a community around me that supported
and cheered me on, who celebrated this hardship as if it was the best thing
ever; and I had a partner who stayed by my side and never made me carry the
full burden of being an extremely young parent alone. Getting pregnant young and starting a family
rather quickly has a marriage success rate that is low. I can’t speak for my husband, but I felt immense
pressure to prove to my church, my family, and friends that I was not a failure
or waste. I felt I had to be extra good;
so I followed the rules. I believed what
I was taught to believe and voted how I was supposed to vote. I forced my family to church and tried to
make my husband (who was not raised in church) into the man the church told me
he was supposed to be. This time period
lasted for at least 10-12 years of our marriage and It is a miracle he never
got tired of the charade and left me!
I mentioned in an earlier post how I began asking questions
and feeling uneasy with the teachings especially around purity when my daughter
was a pre-teen. The messages hit a nerve
in me and released a lot of shame. I
felt like I had to always form my personal story as a redemption story of a screwed-up
girl who got pregnant, but God took my mess and made this beautiful
family. I had to sell my story to the
girls in my small group as a cautionary tale: “Don’t do what I did” “You don’t
want to end up like me.” It was shameful
and belittling looking back on it; I never felt whole, good enough, or complete
as I was. It was around this time I got
into a little debate with another small group leader on the topic of abortion which
set off my questioning of all things and ultimately led to my departure from
the republican party altogether. The
other leader, after hearing my story about getting pregnant young and before
marriage, said “At least you didn’t have an abortion.” This one little phrase lit something in me. I was grateful I didn’t have an
abortion! I absolutely adored my
daughter and could not even fathom where my life would have been if it were not
for her arrival, but would I wish to force my same path onto someone else? I knew how lucky and blessed I had been to
even be standing there discussing the topic with this fellow leader; how could
I look into the eyes of someone who didn’t have the family support, the
financial means and stability I had and say it worked for me so it must work for
you too? I was not nearly that naïve! In our back and forth she stated that a woman
who finds themselves in that situation could always give the baby up for
adoption. (Side note: this church we were attending was heavily into fostering
and adoption at this point.) I was
literally stunned into silence because yes they could do that but any woman who
has given birth knows how life altering a pregnancy can be. You are never the same after a pregnancy and
giving birth; are we ok with forcing that on someone who already is struggling
and at their lowest? Not to mention the
fact we have more kids in the foster system than families to lovingly care for
them. The foster care to prison pipeline
needs some serious looking into by our government, why would we force more kids
into it? The conversation ended pretty
quickly when I stated I would never force my daughter to carry a pregnancy she
was not ready for to term. Who am I to
say what is right for her and her future?
I learned really quickly that that was the wrong thing to say.
This interaction had me really thinking and questioning ideas
I had never questioned as an adult. I
began searching out the voices of women on both sides of the issue. Women who had abortions and were deeply
regretful; women who had abortions and were then able to have children later in
life when they could financially provide for them; Women like me who got
pregnant and life was kind to them; and women who got pregnant and had babies
they resented; women who had babies and struggled just to make ends meat. I started questioning why this issue divides
us so much? When did this become such a
hot button issue? Why is so much placed
on the woman? Why are the men able to
skirt the hard decisions scot free? Why
are the laws that govern women’s bodies being made by men who can never
understand their experiences? What could
we do as a country to make giving birth to the baby the better choice than choosing
to have an abortion? How can we better
support women, especially low-income women, who are affected by the negative
effects of a pregnancy the most?
I dug into research and dug in hard. I read blogs and books and talked it out with
the brave few who would be willing to engage with me. I learned that the issue of abortion being
opposed by the church didn’t happen until years after Roe V Wade was
passed. That originally the evangelical
church didn’t care about abortion. They saw
it as a personal issue not one for the church.
In the 1970’s, 6 years after Roe was passed the prominent position of non-Catholic
churches was that life began with the baby’s first breath, at birth. I say non-Catholic because Catholics were
against abortion and birth control from the beginning as far as I could tell in
my research. So, when did abortion
become the rallying cry for the evangelical church? When a group of religiously powerful men saw
their power shrinking just a bit. When they
were being forced to segregate their private Christian schools to maintain
their tax-exempt status, they needed an issue to get the masses behind them and
to politically activate their church members to vote in the way they
wanted. The Religious Right was formed
and the rhetoric of a “holy war” started flowing through the churches,
specifically “a holy war to lead the nation back to the moral stance that made
America great.” Sounds eerily familiar huh?
This history shocked me!
I had no idea that “the pro-life and pro-family values” stance I had
been raised on really initiated with an opposition to the civil rights movement. The evidence was there all along, I had just
never gone searching. Of course, it was
southern racism that turned long time democratic voters into a voting block
that would rally behind Ronald Reagan and elect him as their family values
president; even though when he was governor of California, he had signed the
most liberal abortion laws into effect in the country just years before. My research then showed me how the number of
abortions has been steadily declining for the past decade. Under Democratic
presidents there was a large push for sex education in the public schools which
helped contribute to this, also the ability of federally funded women’s health clinic
like planned parenthood situated in low-income neighborhoods that distribute
birth control and condoms as well as educate and test for STD’s. I honestly didn’t know Planned Parenthood served
as a women’s health clinic, and that that is the majority of its services. I only saw it as an abortion clinic. I genuinely believe knowledge and education
are power. I took this knowledge and
continued my search for more. I started
learning about racial injustices and inequality, tried to learn more on the
mass incarceration issues from the 80’s and 90’s (and will right on racial
issues another time- that is a biggie!)
This information concerned me and for the next few elections I
voted for a mixture of Democratic and Republican candidates; it wasn’t until
Donald Trump ran for president as the Republican candidate that I officially bowed
out of the Republican party. Abortion
issues opened the door for me to see issues as less black and white and more
nuanced. Honestly thinking about this
issue opened for me a world of seeing people as they are and placing myself in
their shoes. It marked the first, and certainly
not the last, time I took an issue deeply ingrained in me and wrestled it until
I could really grasp my true feelings on it. Not what someone else wanted me to feel. I know my opinion and views on abortion
differ greatly from those of some of my family and friends. Being open about where I came out on this
topic cost me some friends and that was hard!
I know we are all just doing the best we can with the knowledge we have
available to us and the headspace we can put towards a particular issue. I love talking to friends who have different
views on issues. I also love hearing how
friends and family have wrestled with issues like abortion, homosexuality, race
and injustice and have learned new things about themselves and their beliefs.
The truth is we never know how an issue like this will truly
impact us until we are staring it down at a crossroads. I could not be more steadfast that having my
daughter at 21 was the right decision for me.
I also couldn’t be more steadfast in my belief that that was a decision
I am glad I had the power to make and that someone else who was far removed
from me and my situation hadn’t passed a law to take that choice away from
me. I believe we need to trust women to do what
is best for them and their families and futures. That is just my opinion. I would love to hear what yours is…and if
there was an issue you wrestled with that changed you.
I would love to see the church (as the people of Jesus) get behind supporting ALL life. Not only how can we support women so they want to choose having the baby over abortion, but also how do we support all the lives. The foster care system, the elderly who are often forgotten, the single parents, those raising children with special needs, etc.
ReplyDeleteI would say that I've wrestled greatly with reading the Bible in context. Using it as a guide rather than a weapon. I've found I was not given context, and often not even the surrounding verses, to scripture that has been used to hurt people. I don't think that's what Jesus intended us to do with his words.